It is important to do your best to stay healthy during these winter months. Get a double dose of vitamins and healthy nutrients with this Superfood Chicken Soup.
Superfood Chicken Soup
adapted from "The Ultimate Bodybuilding Cookbook: High-Impact Recipes to Make You Stronger than Ever" by Kendall Lou Schmidt
2 cups chopped white onion
1 cup chopped celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
1.5 lbs chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 (15 oz) can low-sodium tomato sauce
3 cups Spinach
3 cups chopped and stemmed Kale
2 cups chopped broccoli
2 cups quartered Brussels Sprouts
2 cups chopped carrots
2 cups quartered green beans
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground ginger
Pinch ground cinnamon (optional)
3-4 cups water
1. In a large, nonstick pot, cook onion, celery and garlic over medium-high heat until soft.
2. Add chicken, cook for about 5 minutes.
3. Add in broth and tomato sauce and bring to a simmer.
4. Add remaining ingredients, except for the water, and simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Add in 3-4 cups of water and simmer for 45 minutes, until vegetables are tender and chicken is fully cooked.
6. Serve immediately!
Makes 8 (2 cup) servings.